Tuesday, 05 July 2011

Zambian Future plans

The client that I'm working for, has decided to change our work schedule.
We used to work 6 weeks on, 6 weeks off. With this schedule in mind, I started developing my amateur radio station at home as well. I've built the counter tops, and started looking at antennas.

When I returned from my last break, I was informed that our schedule would now be 4 weeks on, 2 weeks off. This isn't so good, as it means 25% more time at work, and 50% less time at home. But the company has agreed to adjust our contract fees, to compensate for this, so I guess that will be how it is for the foreseeable future.

This will obviously impact my amateur radio activity as well. With a lot less time at home, I've decided that I'm not going to spend much time on radio while I'm home.
I will therefore be bringing some of my new equipment that was supposed to be for the new "home station" up to Zambia, and set up a better station here.
I have a brand new Yaesu FT-950 (weblink), and I've been offered a 12m Aluminium Spiderbeam mast, as well as a Spiderbeam. If this offer materialises, I'll be having a LOT of fun here in Zambia.
I also need to look at the option of operating 6m. the FT-950 is capable of 6m operations (100w), and I hope to find a company, or ham, who will donate a portable 6m yagi.

My QSL manager has reported that cards have been arriving in the mailbox, and that he's having some basic cards printed up as a start.

Well, these are my musings for the day.

73 / 88 to all

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment